Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Capitol 10K!

This past Sunday was the Capitol 10K.  This was my 5th year running the race, and I was more than a little nervous.  3 weeks ago I gave myself a hip abductor strain from overuse (aka training).  I had to sit out for 2 weeks and then start back up with elliptical.  Needless to say before the race I had only run 2.5 miles on the tred mill successfully.     I figured I could run the race but would probably have to walk a good portion of it as well.

Race day arrived and it was 38 degrees when I woke up (6:30am!).  Last year I ran the race in a tank top and shorts and finished in 55:37 (8:57/M).  This year was going to be much different, much slower due to my injury.  By race time, 8:45am, I think it was about 45 degrees.  My hardest times during the race were mile 3 and 5.  Mile 3 just seemed to take forever, and by mile 5 I was getting tired.  However, I ran the entire time!  No stopping or walking and I averaged about 10:18min miles.  :-)  I'm very happy with my time even though it was considerably longer than last year.  Running on an injury isn't easy and I thought for sure I'd have to walk.

Malek also ran the race, he did really well for his first 10K, finished in 57:28 mins.

Now I'm going to take it easy...no running for a while.  I need to let my body heal.  :-)
Cap 10k 3/29/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment