I went to my sports Dr today for my foot (and knees) and had xrays taken. Verdict is I can run (YAY) and the culprit is plantar fascia of the medial cord insert (BOO!). Not much I can do but stretch it, wear heel cups, no barefoot walking, etc. I can run but I need to come back in slowly and take it easy. Guess I caught it early enough to recover more quickly this time (hopefully). Check out my xrays, I have a wicked bone spur on my heel, you would have thought that was the culprit, but no. Oh! The straight on shot of my foot is showing an navicular OS (extra bone) on the inside of my arch, I had it removed when I was young and it grew back! UGH!
On another (kinda sad) note, I had my knees examined. They have bothered me for years. Turns out I have osteoarthritis (OA - wear and tear of the joints) and Patellofemoral Syndrome (overuse from vigorous athletics = pain). Yup, I was afraid it was that. The Dr actually said I was pretty young to have this much arthritis already...This means I need to do more cross-training, less high impact, take up biking/elliptical/rowing (WTF! I'm so not any of these) AND reduce running. My Dr cringed when I told him I had 4-5 halves in the next 6 months. Long story short - I can run, but the longer and harder distances will result in payment later (think knee scopes/replacement). So my full marathon days are officially over (never say never?), and I'll need to run less half marathons a year.
When I wreck myself, I go ALL THE WAY. Also attached are my xrays from 2005 when I broke my hip from my very 1st half marathon. Pretty nifty eh? Just call me bionic...cause soon my knees will be there...I think my body has been trying to tell me for years to stop running...but I don't listen.
link to pictures
In the past 2 days I decided to make a list of all my injuries/surgeries/etc. I find it impressive.
- Extra bone removed right foot – elementary school
- Right hand pinky finger fractured playing VB (splint) – HS (95/96?)
- Several sprained ankles w soccer/VB - HS
- Wisdom teeth removal - sometime in HS
- Lasik (eyes) – March 18, 2005
- Left hip femoral neck break (surgery, screws in hip) – May 2005
- Softball to the chin, line drive, 9 stitches - June 2010
- C-section – April 2011
- Plantar fasciitis in both feet – May 2012
- Stress fracture left foot – Sept 2012
- C-section – Oct 2013
- TFL (Tensor fasciae latae) left hip strain – Aug 2016 – Dec 2016
- Broke right pinky toe – Sept 2017
- Plantar fascia right heel (medial cord insert) – Jun-Aug 2018 (and still going...)
|cracked femoral neck 2005|
|screws to fix my hip|
|amazing heel spur - July 2018|
|extra bone grew back - Jul 2018|
|softball to face = stitches, June 2010|
|broken pinky toe Sept 2017|
|broken pinky toe|