Pages

Monday, October 1, 2018

Injury Update

Sadly my foot has not improved since my last injury posting back in August.  I had hoped that taking some time off would be enough (beg of July- Aug), but I was wrong.  After 1.5 months off I slowly started trying to run again.  I was able to run 4 or 5 times at 1-2 miles each time, then when I tried for 3 miles the pain returned.  I ended up getting a cortisone shot in mid Aug and had to take another 2 weeks off from running.  During this time I was also going to PT and having very vigorous calf massages and trigger point therapy.  I was feeling great so decided to try running again in Sept, slowly of course.  No bueno, I only made it a couple runs before the pain returned.  I stayed off my foot until the Casa 5K (9/16) and took that race uber slow, with lots of walking.  I've never walked through a water stop before!  1st time for everything I guess.  After that race my foot continued to throb, the pain never dropped below a 3/4 on a 10 point scale of pain.  Even walking would irritate it.  Sadly I went back to my foot Dr today (10/1) and received my 2nd cortisone shot.  Of course my foot feels great right after that...but I'm worried after 2 weeks when I try jogging again that I'll be in the same boat as before.  If this shot doesn't work, my next option is Platelet Rich Plasma injections (PRP).  Essentially for PRP they take your blood and spin out the platelets and then inject them into the problem area, it helps promote soft tissue healing.  Finger's crossed that one of these work...my next race is a 10 miler the beginning of Nov!  Ugh...training on an elliptical isn't going to cut it.



No comments:

Post a Comment